The Langara Faculty Association (LFA) is the union representing faculty employed by Langara College. As the registered agent for collective bargaining, our certification covers all faculty - instructors, librarians, counsellors, and others. We are affiliated (local 14) with the Federation of Post-Secondary Educators of BC (FPSE).
As a union we:
- negotiate and maintain collective agreements
- defend workplace rights
- represent faculty on college boards, councils, and committees
- host workshops, seminars and social events
- champion accessible, quality post-secondary education
- advocate through provincial and national labour organizations
Above all, we seek to support, represent and empower our members.
Key LFA contacts include the Board of Directors, Chief Returning Officer, Steward Team, and LFA Committees.
Chief Returning Officer (CRO):
Among other duties, the CRO oversees the nominations and annual elections for the Board of Directors, the holding of strike and ratification votes, and the holding of any referenda the LFA may hold from time to time. For more information, see the Policy regarding CRO duties and selection (PDF).
- Chief Returning Officer, 2022-2024: Chantal Faucher
The stewards work ongoing to ensure that faculty members' Collective Agreement, legislative, and College policy rights are respected and exercised. We invite members to contact anyone on the steward team if you have questions or would like assistance. The steward team is:
- Alison Curtis (Chief Steward) [email protected]
- Catherine Huth [email protected]
- Natalie Knight [email protected]
- Tanya Lewis [email protected]
- Shannon Meek [email protected]
- Shelley-Anne Vidal [email protected]
Members actively serve as LFA reps on a number of LFA, College and FPSE committees. For more information, see the Committees page.
The Annual General Meeting is held in May and general meetings are called throughout the year. For members who wish to view them, past General meeting reports and minutes are kept in the LFA office.